The Ministry operates under the portfolio of the Minister of Health and Quality of Life.
The functions of the Ministry are:
- To develop a comprehensive health service in order to meet the health needs of the population;
- To investigate the influence of physical environment and psychosocial domestic factors on the incidence of human diseases and disability;
- To plan and carry out measures for the promotion of health;
- To institute and maintain measures for the prevention of diseases including the epidemiological surveillance of important communicable diseases;
- To provide facilities for the treatment of diseases, including mental disease by maintenance of hospital and dispensary services;
- To make provisions for the rehabilitation of the disabled;
- To control the practice of medicine, dentistry and pharmacy;
- To provide facilities for the training of Nursing Officers, Midwives, ancillary hospital and laboratory staff and Health Inspectors;
- To advise local government authorities regarding their health services and to inspect those services;
- To prepare and publish reports and statistical data and other information relating to health;
- To implement a Family Planning, Maternal and Child Health Programme; and
- To initiate and conduct operational bio-medical health studies of diseases of major importance in the country.